Encinitas Foreign & Domestic Auto Repair was the first solar-powered auto repair facility in the area.
October 2018 marked the Seventh Anniversary of operating with the power delivered through a 184 solar panel system. In each of the seven years, the system has overproduced, thus putting more into the grid than was used. To date Renewable Energy Production has been over 351 MWh. The carbon offset is over 243 tons – the equivalent of 21 acres of trees or enough to power 22 stadiums for a day.
Beyond solar, the company has done many things over the years. Here is a short list to show the commitment Encinitas Foreign & Domestic Auto Repair has made to the community.
- In 2001 received a Corporate Leadership Award/Pollution Prevention from Solana Recyclers.
- Years ago, a Recycling Dumpster replaced the Trash Dumpster. Now in use is one regular household trash bin for the business. Consider that there are 15 employees and 14 service bays.
- The Company continues to be a Certified Recycling Center for oil, oil filters, batteries and other toxic substances.
- First in County and one of first in State to be named a “California Certified Green Station” awarded by the Department of Toxic Substances Control.
- Maintain “Star Certified Smog Station” status.
- Skylights, windows, energy efficient light fixtures and motion sensors have all contributed to the overproduction of renewable energy.
- Water clarifier system ensures toxins do not enter our sewage system.
- Developed and implemented a system to clean up small oil spills without the use of absorbents that would otherwise end up in our landfills.
- Eliminated the use of aerosols for parts cleaning and put into place a hot water parts washer.
- Shuttle customers to and from our shop with an Electric Vehicle. This gives us great opportunity to promote our solar production and demonstrate to customers how much we care about our community.
- Paper reduction with the implementation of new operating system.
- Checking customers’ tire pressure results in more efficient fuel consumption.
- Ability to work on Hybrid Vehicles.
- Educating customer to “Maintain your car – get regular tune-ups, follow the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule, and use the recommended motor oil” as advised by the EPA.
- Promoting Drive Wise…The way we drive can reduce emissions from our vehicles.
Effectively reduce emissions, drive more safely, and save money on fuel costs all at the same time.
Encinitas Foreign & Domestic Auto Repair will continue to evolve in this changing scene. When you think about it, all of this is just common sense! It is good for business and the community.